Home / :BLOG: / Mohamad Hasan: Pakatan government doesn’t have clear direction on the economy

Mohamad Hasan: Pakatan government doesn’t have clear direction on the economy

The Pakatan Harapan government does not have a clear direction on how to steer the economy, says Barisan Nasional candidate Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan.

“After Pakatan’s takeover of Putrajaya, there is not a single policy that can make the people happy,” he said at a ceramah near Bandar Sri Sendayan Sunday (April 7).

“It is only the fourth month into 2019 and international rating agency Moody’s [Investors Service] has cut the 2019 GDP (gross domestic product) growth forecast,” he said.

It was reported on Wednesday (April 3) that Moody’s Investors Service has cut its 2019 GDP growth forecast for Malaysia to 4.4%, down from 4.7% projected in January.

The international rating agency has also reduced Malaysia’s real GDP growth for next year to 4.3% from 4.5%.

“The Pakatan Government does not have a clear direction. It only proposes a third national car project, flying car. It repeatedly said the country has a high debt of RM1trillion, repeat about 1Malaysia Development Bhd. People voted you in, please do your work,” he said.

“They travelled to other countries and said Malaysia is near bankrupt. Who would want to invest here if the country is said to be in such a position?” he asked.

With the economy slowing down, Mohamad said the government should be spending to boost the economy.
“When there is no foreign direct investment and government is not spending, the economy will slow further,” he said, adding that after Pakatan took over, the government has halted many projects such as the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore High Speed Rail and the East Coast Rail Link.

“Malaysia is an open economy, a trading nation. It should not be antagonising others,” he said, criticising the way the government handles its relations with China, India and Singapore.

Meanwhile, Mohamad, who is also Umno deputy president, congratulated Barisan Nasional Youth for organising the gathering which included Umno Youth, MCA Youth, MIC Youth and PAS Youth on the same stage for the first time.

“I did not expect this. Umno, MCA and MIC, we have been together since gaining independence. We have worked together for so many years managing the country. We were defeated once in GE14 and we should stay calm.

Do not worry, reorganise the party and rearrange the strategy. Just like what I am doing now,” he said, adding that Barisan will be stronger with PAS collaborating.

“In GE14, Umno had 47% Malay votes while PAS received 28% Malay votes. Together, we have 75% Malay votes. If we collaborate, both parties can get an extra 29 parliamentary seats. We can easily tapau (defeat) Pakatan,” he said.

Mohamad also clarified that the Umno-PAS collaboration does not mean they are against any other race.
“When the Malays are united, politics will be stable. Everyone will benefit and people will come to invest,” he said.

“PAS has governed Kelantan for years. They support freedom of religion. You can find the largest sleeping Buddha in South-East Asia there,” he said.

Noting there is stronger support from youngsters for Barisan in the Cameron Highlands and Semenyih by-elections, he hope Barisan’s winning momentum would continue in Rantau.

Loading...